Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Remembering Meri

The bad news about long term sobriety is that you develop deep, loving friendships with people. They become your family.

The good news about long term sobriety is that you develop deep, loving friendships with people. They become your family.

Meri was my sponsor in Chicago, and a dear friend. She was like a big sister, and I always looked forward to seeing her when I was back home. She was a breast cancer survivor. And on June 13th, when I was at the Anchorage airport getting ready to board my flight to LA, she called to say that she'd just been diagnosed with Stage Four Esophogeal Cancer. She started radiation that week; she started chemo on Monday, July 9th. She died yesterday morning, July 10th, after several days of incredible pain. I just found out (although I think I knew) and I am devastated. We were so excited to get together in two weeks when I'm back in Chicago. This was a great lady, she was so full of life and acceptance and grace and kindness and tolerance, a living example of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I adored her. She was hilarious, she was patient, and she was so loved by so many people.

My heart is breaking today. And here I sit, at work, hearing her voice telling me to "suck it up, kid. Do the next indicated thing." Sometimes, that's all we can do.

15 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

Sorry to hear of your friends death, as always, a great pleasure to have known anyone who could touch you like that, even for a little while.

When I hear the stories about friends and families who die, I always put in the front of my mind, what a great stroke of luck to have known any of these people!

Larry said...

Sorry for your loss. It is nice to have had someone who made a major positive impact on your life.

enigma4ever said...

I am so sorry dear Diva...this is a loss, but like CM said she touched your life and was a big part of you ....that will now live on...there are pieces of all of us in each other, it is what keeps us Whole....

Many hugs....namaste...

mirth said...

If I could, I would take some of this hurt from you. I would share it with you so that the load isn't so heavy.
It has been my experience that these losses are easier to bear when we concentrate on our loved one's release from suffering.
I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Peacechick Mary said...

Released from the final bondage. I'm sure there are no words I can say that will ease the pain. Just know that I, along with many others, send you our best thoughts. Peace.

LET'S TALK said...

Sorry for your loss, be strong and glad to have known her.

Anon-Paranoid said...

Also sorry for the loss of a very close friend Diva.

I will remember her and you in my prayers tonight.

God Bless.

Anne said...

my best to you, as you deal with the loss of your old friend.

Daniel said...

Life is a game we all lose eventually! So sorry to hear of your loss.

Remember the good things and enjoy each moment of the present is all we, the living, can do.

I'll put you on my links. Hope that will cheer you up! Kind regards from Down Under.

Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

DivaJood:

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have lost a few very good friends and I will always miss them. They too had an impact on me in one way or another.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"suck it up, kid.
And leave it on the tables, tomorrow. I grieve with, and for you.

DivaJood said...

Dear all y'all, thank you. Your kind words are very meaningful to me, and I appreciate it. We rarely know how to act in the face of death. We just don't know. But in truth, knowing that others care means so much.

robin andrea said...

(0)
In the old tradition, a stone for her grave.

Granny said...

Diva, I'm a on line friend of Future is Yesterday (as well as a friend of Bill W's) and he asked me to stop by.

I see a couple more of my friends here as well.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and sponsor.

I lost my oldest daughter to cancer in early May and I'll always treasure the words of love and support from friends I will probably never meet.

I hope you find some comfort from them as well.

Best,

Ann (aka granny)

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Judith,
I am keeping you close in my heart. Meri sounds so wonderful. I love her "Suck it up kid, do the next indicated thing." I wish I could have known her too, but I am glad she was your friend. Sounds like you both got the good end of the stick, having one another. Rest in Peace, Meri.