Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Brunei

Long House on the Temburong River

This is one of the reasons I love what I do: in a couple of months I am hosting a segment of a World Cruise. One of the ports of call is Bandar Seri Begawan, in the Sultanate of Brunei Darussalam. Brunei is on the northern coast of the island of Borneo: an oil-rich, peaceful enclave with one of the most diverse eco-systems in the world. Nearly 80% of Brunei is tropical rainforest. When you consider that the entire nation is just under 5800 sq km, that's a lot of forest. And most is easily accessed from Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital.

Honest to pete, this is not a place that sort of comes to mind quickly. I do not get a lot of calls from clients saying "Hey, I've got an idea! I want to go to Brunei Darussalam!" But because I am going to get there, I have to read up, learn all I can, and prepare for my new adventure. More to come.

4 comments:

Coffee Messiah said...

Wow, not only does this sound nice, but looks like it might be a pretty peaceful area to visit.

Have fun! ; )

LET'S TALK said...

It would be nice to see the photographs you come back with for your tour site. Good luck to you and be very safe.

Anon-Paranoid said...

I once heard that Brunei is a good place to visit and that the government actually takes care of its citizens unlike ours.

Have a good trip and stay safe.

God Bless.

enigma4ever said...

so envious....keep us posted and bring us pictures...lovely...