Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Perfect Post Awards

The Fat Lady Sings has gone and nominated me for October's Perfect Post Awards, a nod from one blogger to another to honor their writing. This was started by Lucinda at Suburban Turmoil and MommaK at Petroville. Each month, any and all bloggers can nominate other bloggers for their writing - you need to let Lucinda and MommaK know you intend to present - and everyone nominated is awarded. It's not a competition, but it is really a nice nod to various efforts.

For me, it's particularly gratifying because when I first moved from Chicago to Los Angeles, I felt as though my voice had disappeared. No. It felt as though I'd swallowed my voice. The first four years out here were a terrible struggle for me to adjust. I was accustomed to a vocal political group; to variety; to choice. And I found myself surrounded by loving people who were stuck in a routine, and who were very Republican in nature. But they were friends of long standing, and while they welcomed me and my Democratic ways, they had no interest in my history. I fell silent.

And then I took a trip. I went to Australia for the umpdedumpth time, and it was a life changing experience. I eventually got politically active, through blogging. I found my voice.

At any rate, while she was flattened by a bad back, The Fat Lady asked several bloggers to guest post, and I was one of them. So on one of the days that I pitched in, I posted my description of the experience, The Never Never, and voila, The Fat Lady awards me with one of the Perfect Post Awards for October. I'm honored, and flattered, and grateful.

12 comments:

Frederick said...

It's always funny when that happens. That's what I think the 90's were all about. I was young and complacent and I thought 90% of the world was Liberal. I never saw anything to make me believe different. I left to go over seas in 98' and when I got back in 02, I had to check the roadsigns to make sure it was even America I was in. What a wake up. Let us never fall asleep again.

DivaJood said...

Frederick, it's also a bit of where we choose to live. In Chicago, I was in a notably liberal, intellectual community. I moved to an area of LA that is all about the beach - I work in the neighborhood that the Beach Boys grew up in. We get complacent in our niches. But now I'm seeing people who were quite conservative speaking out against this administration: at dinner the other night, one of the guys who is MOST conservative referred to Bush as the worst President, EVER. Maybe I'm rubbing off on them.

Anonymous said...

Hey...that's very cool. Congratulations!

Crabbi said...

Congratulations, Jood! You deserve the award -- what a beautifully written story.

enigma4ever said...

I am so glad that you found your Voice and that you are a part of Blogland...it has made life better for all of us...( hell I got to see Down Under with new eyes...)

Keep Blogging...and we'll keep coming...

sumo said...

Well congratulations and it is well deserved. The post was wonderful.

pissed off patricia said...

Woo Woo, good for you!

What nice news for you.

DivaJood said...

Thanks, ya'll. It's just nice to be here.

Alicia Morgan said...

Diva, that was an awesome post - you richly deserve it! You absolutely entranced me with that one.

Anonymous said...

After reading the splendid story about your outback experiences, it really dawned on me how fragile the aboriginal cultures and people have become. Paralels could be drawn between this sad fact and the seemingly inevitable extinction of the most animal species.

To move from Chicago to Los Angeles, in my mind, is a sort of demotion. I had a chance to walk around in downtown Chicago, and couldn't believe how gorgeous and unique architecture it has. Los Angeles in another hand...

Anonymous said...

Congrats,
It was a beautiful and moving post and deserving of recognition.

Anonymous said...

Bravo!