Thursday, April 05, 2007

Breaking sports news




Real estate magnate Sam Zell's recent purchase of Tribune Co., owner of the Chicago Cubs, led to the Cubs announcing the franchise will be put up for sale. As a long suffering Chicago Cubs fan, seeing the Cubs on eBay like this gives me hope. There is a "buy it now" price of $650M, not as much as our Government has spent on the Iraq War, but still out of my price range. But the opening bid is $.99, and there are no bids yet. Maybe my buddy Moe Berg will pitch in and purchase the team with me - we might be able to squeeze out Bill Murray.

I'm excited, really.

4 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

Ah, I don't know, sigh. When you've had one Cub, you've had them all. I do like their uniforms, tho.

Mariamariacuchita said...

Hmmm...sporting with sports. Easy come, easy go?

Agi said...

So he's traded the Cubs for the LA Times?? He should have kept the Cubs.

Anonymous said...

Count me in, Jood! I found some change in the sofa cushions and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

The first thing I'd do is take down everything connected to the 1969 team and anything else that perpetuates the "lovable losers" image. Then, I'd replace it all with homages to the members of the 1908 team, which was the last one to win a series for the Cubs.

While I still have fond memories of Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo, and the rest, the sad fact is that they were losers, and all the adulation they've received over the years hasn't done squat to get them to the World Series.

Other than that, just give me a good seat close to the beer and you can be in charge of everything else.