Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Blahs

12 days in a row, no time off. And August is traditionally slow in the trave business - everyone is either on vacation, or getting kids ready for school - I usually clean my files, my desk - not this year. I've been insanely busy. I almost always find time to blog, and to visit others during the day - not this week. Not so much the week before. I've had to work.

It started with the Shampoo Bombers, of course, the busy part. I had clients stuck in London, and missed the first day of a cruise because flights were cancelled. Other clients arrived late in Stockholm, and their scheduled transfer driver failed to show up - he met their original flight, they weren't there, and he left - and it took 8 days to get compensation back from the cruise line. Then a client called because his ticket and his companion's were for different days of travel. THAT was entirely my mistake, and I almost had a heart attack. We fixed it, but it cost me a lot. I don't make a lot of mistakes at work, but when I do, they are doozies.

By the time Saturday arrived, I was barely competent to walk, let alone drive a car. But I drove, went to get my hair done, nails, prepare for my trip. A movie with friends (Trust the Man, it's new and it is very funny!). Today I am cleaining house, doing laundry, thinking about packing. Four days of work, then Friday I leave for Australia.

Truly, the world could have blown up last week and I would have been unable to think about it. So I ask this: is the reason most Americans don't think about what's really going on in the world, is that reason because they are overworked, underpaid, and exhausted?

10 comments:

billie said...

i am going to say yes. many people work for the wrong reasons and stay at jobs for the wrong reasons- but overall- i would say that the american mentality is work, work, work- and then go on vacation for a week- to come back and work, work, work. very sad state of affairs. this in no way diminishes what people do for a living- but it also doesn't excuse it. you make time to blog as a general rule- or you are out doing something for the outside world. most folks don't.

Frederick said...

Ya, that and when I go to the chow hall (the only place I get to watch T.V.) they have on the Little League World Series. Lotta info there. If it weren't for the internets I'd have no idea what was going on...

Anonymous said...

It could be that there is something profoundly sad when a person must work ever increasingly hard to pay up his motorhome, time-share condo, golf club fees etc. and not have a chance to take any time off. This cultural phenomenom is contributing Americans to gramm everything under the sun into a shortest possible period of time. One wonders if you are more exhausted after such a vacation than before it?

Your work overload is partially caused by a handfull of terrorist wannabes. With a minimum resources they seem to be able to cripple us pretty good.

Tina said...

Diva: I think that is some of it. People are sometimes too busy, but also there is unbelievable apathy in America. It infuriates me that more people are willing to vote for American Idol than their Congressman, Senator or President... ya know... the people who can REALLY fuck with your life and make it even more miserable.

Jack said...

I lived in France for 4 years, August was the worst in Paris because there were tons of tourists but everything else was closed.

The French generally believe they are entitled to a month of vacation and no more than 35 hrs of work. Oh well, they're still in the 1st world.

This is a nice blog you've got here, I put it up on our blogroll, for all that's worth right now.

- BlueWaveNJ

Anonymous said...

People do work too hard, and for all our work, is our society so much better? There are nations where people live well and work less. Own less. Pollute less and all that...

I think I am with Tina on this.

Nice to see you.

Yoga Korunta said...

Diva Jood, you deserve more time off. Have some lemonade and relax!

DivaJood said...

Betmo, that's true - the US mentality is all work and no play, the old Puritan Work Ethic. Of course, Shrubya doesn't believe in that, he takes more vacations than anyone.

Fred, thank god for the Internets, right?

Pekka, is that it? The shampoo bombers? Must be part of the Gay Agenda.

Tina, do you mean that Taylor Hicks isn't going to have a lasting effect on the economy? Damn.

Jack, August in Paris is insane - I always wonder at my clients who insist on going to France in August. And yes, the French are right. People need a month off, and are more productive in 35 hours than they are in 45. And I like your blog - will return the favor!

Liliana, I'm in complete agreement. We need to enjoy more, slow down, smell the roses. Thanks for coming by! I've got to get back to the Peace Train!

Yoga, I have lemonade every day! It's yummy, and prevents scurvy.

Crabbi said...

Jood,

Enjoy your trip!

I don't know why anyone goes anywhere in August. That the kids are off for the summer is the only decent reason I can think of. For those without kids, or with grown children: go in the fall. It's cheaper, cooler and far less crowded. November in Rome is heaven!

Sigh...I want to work part-time. I don't even own a lot of stuff...

DivaJood said...

Crabbi, I usually travel in August because it's usually slower in my business. And in the Southern Hemisphere, at the end of winter, it's a great time to be there. But. Still. Rome in November is gorgeous, yes! And you could be a travel professional - the pay sucks, but I've been to a lot of places.