Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Important headlines

People, I have three days left in this insane work schedule - and believe me, being a travel agent has nothing to do with brain surgery, or world health, or national security, so 12 days without a day off is truly insane - so I thought I'd do a little roundup of the important headlines.

In a blatant act of Civil Disobedience Chicago restaurants defy ban on Foie Gras. Yes, it's true. Connie's Pizza thought up a Foie Gras Pizza in open defiance of a new ban set by the City Council. Harry Carey's paired it with scallops for an appetizer, and a filet for a main course. Meanwhile, Charlie Trotter stopped using it several years ago, because the ducks and geese that are used for Foie Gras are force fed through a tube to fatten their livers. The gloves are off, and lines are drawn on the table cloths. This is war, Chicago.

Speaking of war, In a declaration of independence Viacom and Paramount Pictures severed ties with Tom Cruise. Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone cited Cruise's recent behavior, but it probably had more to do with the fact that Cruise and longtime business partner Paula Wagner wanted $10M a year to cover overhead and "project development." Cruise has put signs up around his office asking for silence while he and Wagner give birth to a new location for their production company.

What was Andrew Young thinking?" First, he takes a job with Walmart. Then, he comes to Los Angeles, and says that the Jewish, Korean and Arab small-business owners in South L.A. sell inferior goods to black customers, so that Blacks should welcome Walmart into their neighborhoods. Walmart gets bent out of shape and forces Young to resign, and Georgia's Lt. Governor Mark Taylor apologizes for Young's remarks, fearing they might hurt his campaign (Young is Campaign Co-Chairman). But somebody please tell me how this distinguished Civil Rights Activist, former Ambassador to the UN, former Mayor of Atlanta, could have stooped to taking a position with Walmart as a pitchman? Erin Aubry Kaplan writes, "The biggest company in the world has grown ever-more unpopular as its worldwide exploitation of workers, including a determination to keep unions away that can be described as fascist, has become more well known."

Oh, and just in case we forget about that little fiasco in Iraq, Marines Who Served Will Be Ordered Back. The involuntary return to active duty will affect up to 2,500 reservists at a time. The Pentagon is scrambling to meet the demands of war. So they're going to be called up, and re-deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, in order to feed Bush's hunger for world domination. Seems they're having trouble getting soldiers to voluntarily retrun. I wonder why?

Sports news will have to wait. Have a lovely day.

8 comments:

TFLS said...

That just goes to show - prejudice has no color, gender or age. Assholes come in every size and shape - and Young is an asshole - no matter what he might have stood for 30 or 40 years ago.

Pete said...

Is it too late to send that pygmy big man Cruise to Iraq? That would test if he's really a "Top Gun".

robin andrea said...

Thanks for a round-up of the news. I find it terribly disappointing that Andrew Young said such a thing. I thought we were supposed grow wiser as we aged. I guess that's not always true. I'm hoping that some reservists will shout a resounding "no" to this recall.

Tina said...

I confess that I didn't know who Andrew Young was until I watched Washington Morning on CSPAN discuss this. I guess racist asshats maybe feel freer to show their true colors as they age.
How could someone in good conscience eat foie gras?? I know there is much to be said about corporate farming and how cruelly all the animals are treated, but I am lucky enough to live in a state that has Amish communities. Like my parents, Hubby and buy our meats from an Amish farmer once or twice a year. You can walk around the farm and see how the pigs, cows, chickens and turkeys are treated and live, and the farmer is very adamant about his animals not being fed antibiotics or steroids b/c this the very same meat his own huge family eats. It costs a bit (especially b/c we usually buy an entire side of beef and put in a freezer chest) but it is worth it for peace of mind in all regards.

DivaJood said...

TFLS, well said. An asshole by any other name is still an asshole, I'm just saying.

Pete, I'd LOVE to send Cruise to Iraq. What a putz.

Robin Andrea, the day gets worse with news. What happened to Young? He used to be a hero of mine.

Tina, I had Foie Gras years ago, and it was the most amazing thing I've ever tasted. Oh, my god. But I can't eat it any longer, once I found out how they treated the birds. And there are any number of Top Chefs who refuse to serve it any longer because of the inhumane treatment.

Anonymous said...

Foie gras is amazing, but I swore it off too.

Spooky, what a brilliant idea. And when Tom gets back to do his July 4th redux, we must refuse to allow him to take anti-depressants for his PTSS. He will have to take vitamins and exercise and just get over it.

Tina, I have been buying Amish pork and cheese at the farmer's market. The pork is amazing!

Diva, I do like a bit of table cloth civil disobedience now and again, but I wish they would focus on more serious matters. Leave it to the insanely wealthy to get all-a-twitter when their rights to stuff their faces on fatted goose liver is infringed upon. Where are they when we need them?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think Andrew Young supported Bush in '04.

Now Wal-mart has another black spokesperson who has been calling Democrats Hezbo-Crats and claiming we want to destroy Wal-Mart and paint horns and tails on their smiley face logos.

Let's get a coalition of the horn-painters and go after those smiley faces. He thought he was just making up inane stuff about the Hezbo-Crats, I have a can of paint and I'm ready to roll, baby!

DivaJood said...

Karena, what has Andrew Young been thinking? Where did he go so off track! I would love to paint horns on those fucking smiley faces - I really, really hate Wal-Mart. This company exploits people in the worst ways. I am so there (besides, I have a Masters in Fine Art, so I'm happy to weild a brush.)