Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Elvis has left the building

Today is the 29th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley.




On December 21, 1970, President Nixon met with Elvis Presley in the Oval Office. The pill popping rock star offered to help the president combat the rise in drug use among Americans. Elvis brought President Nixon a World War II Colt 45 pistol and several Presley family photographs as gifts. Nixon gave the King an FBI badge.

29 years ago, on August 16, 1977, Presley died of a drug overdose.

In light of this, I thought a quick roundup of headlines might be in order.

One year later, Katrina Victims are fucked again as a federal judge in Mississippi ruled in favor of the Insurance Companies, saying they don't have to pay for any of the flooding that destroyed homes in the disaster. After all, the insurance companies have already paid to cover wind damage, isn't that enough? As for the rest of ya, fuckya.

Senator Lieberman's run as an independent may just turn into a victory. Lieberman is working on a message of bipartisanship, based on blaming Lamont for the London Terrorist Plot. But good news: you can take your lipstick on a plane, as long as it is solid - no lip gloss or jars of lip stain.

Still not enough being done about AIDS. While the scientific advances are encouraging, most countries have no way of delivering treatments to people. How many ways can we say "marginalized?"

Bush is frustrated that the Iraqi Citizens "had not shown greater public support for the American mission". I'm sorry, this is a WTF moment for me. I can't say anything else. Let me go back to science.

In case you were worried, Pluto gets to remain a planet. A few other large celestial bodies are vieing for planetary status as well, so once Iraq is completely devestated, and Global Warming has innundated all the coastal regions, there will be ample room in the galaxy for the wealthy to move to and fuck up.

Okay, I have to go to work now.

13 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

And to top off the string of bad news, today I found out a friend of mine died last month due to a hospital error.
This friend served in Iraq the first 14 months of the war at the age of 50. He didn't get a scratch on him in Iraq. Seems last month he got sick, went to the hospital and they messed up his meds causing him to die of massive internal bleeding. Fuck! I'm too frustrated and angry to cry yet.

DivaJood said...

POP, I'm so sorry for your loss - the cost of this is too much, really.

Lew Scannon said...

Bush's statement is a testimony t how utterly clueless he is. "Lousy ingrates, just because we blew the sh*t out of their country is no reason to hate us, we're makin' you free."

billie said...

add to that- texas oilmen who are buying up water- yes water- because that's where the money is doncha know? his exact quote was 'oil, electricity and water are the biggest money makers.' makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. also, the racial profiling on planes. not just for arabs anymore- apparently, if you are indian, arab, or black- you get pulled to the side and interrogated and searched. welcome to the land of the free.

Intrepidflame said...

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Motherfucker him and John Wayne
Cause I'm Black and I'm proud
I'm ready and hyped plus I'm amped
Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps
Sample a look back you look and find
Nothing but rednecks for 400 years if you check
Don't worry be happy
Was a number one jam
Damn if I say it you can slap me right here
(Get it) lets get this party started right
Right on, c'mon
What we got to say
Power to the people no delay
To make everybody see
In order to fight the powers that be...

Public Enemy
From the song Fight the Power
from the album Fear of a Black Planet

Seemed oddly appropriate. Have you been reading the Hersh article?

oldwhitelady said...

Nice roundup of headlines. I am happy that Pluto gets to stay a planet!

Isn't it funny that Bush would be critical of the Iraqi citizens. I don't remember them wanting the invasion in the first place. It was the exiles that did... The exiles that told the adminstration lies (WMD) that the admin wanted to hear.

I sure hope the CT voters who voted for him, realize how wrong they were to cast a vote for Lieberman, now.

Yoga Korunta said...

Patricia, I am sorry about your loss.

DivaJood said...

Lew, maybe Bush needs a new copy of "My Pet Goat," and he's just feeling cranky.

Betmo, again I say: follow the money. It leads back to Bush, Cheney, and their pals. But regarding getting pulled over and searched, it has happened to me once or twice - random searches. I am a 50-something Jewish Grandmother, for god's sake. I hate weapons of all kinds. But still, the majority of people pulled over for search are people of color; single men with Arab sounding names; Indian; Pakistani; Black.

BZ, great lyrics, and appropriate. Have read the Hersh article.

OWL, if Karl Rove is helping Lieberman, I suspect that there will be major vote fraud. And of course, all the WMDs in Iraq currently are there because WE'RE USING THEM.

Hi Yoga.

sumo said...

I think clueless is too kind a word to use for Georgie...and yes I am relieved about Pluto now. Great post.

DivaJood said...

Sumo, I didn't want anyone to lose sleep over Pluto.

Anonymous said...

PoP,
I am so, so sorry to hear of your friend. Good lord, that is a lot to bear.

Unknown said...

Damn those selfish Iraqis!! WHEN will they learn some good ol' Murkin manners and THANK us with candy and flowers like Rummy said they would!

Oh those ingrates. Next thing you know, they'll be expecting the same sort of lifestyle they'd been accustomed to before the U.S. invaded, like running water and electricity. Greedy bastards.

DivaJood said...

Helen, they are so rude. Unbelievable.