Saturday, May 19, 2007

Biopsy results on a soft news day

I hate not having 100% good health.
I hate having Fibromyalgia.
I hate going to doctors, getting poked, scanned, x-rayed and tested.

But having done all that, this is what's up:
The biopsy on my liver showed a bit of fibrosis on the liver, and minimal shrinkage of the bile ducts. This is good news, because although it could not difinitavely rule out PBC, if that's what it is it is in such an early stage that I will respond well to the medication. So I am now on Urso 250 and Urso 500 Forte - synthetic bile - to keep my liver healthy. I am now on Lipitor for the cholesterol - and even though my GOOD Cholesterol (HDL) is outstanding, my bad Cholesterol (LDL) is too high to manage with diet and exercise. I need to get that down from 173 to around 100 - 115. All these things contribute to the chronic pain of Fibro, but, if they are managed, I should be able to manage the Fibro without having to go on pain medication. So I am exercising, and eating healthily, and feeling really relieved. And I'm sneaking this in on a Saturday because everyone should be out in the nice Spring weather, having fun and NOT reading this self indulgent drivel about me.

10 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

That doesn't sound too bad. The lipitor should do the trick on the HDL. When you get a chance, tell us what exercises work for you. I'm interested for myself, as well.

WeezieLou said...

sounds manageable, which is sometimes all we can go for. and i'm a big advocate for trying anything but painkillers, altho there is a time and a place for them.

billie said...

self indulgent drivel indeed! :) it is good news that you are doing well and that you will be able to manage your health issues with lifestyle changes and a bit of help from the medical community. everyone needs a little good news once in awhile. good news!!!

robin andrea said...

That is very good news. It all sounds very manageable. Eating well and exercising are great ways to good health. Good luck with it.

SB Gypsy said...

Good Weather? It's raining here, all weekend.

I hope you're able to manage all that and are not in pain.

DivaJood said...

Peacechick, Lipitor means no GRAPEFRUIT. I live in California. We GROW grapefruit. Sigh.

Weezie, yes, sometimes manageable is pretty good. A guy I know just had triple bypass surgery a week ago. He's now out of hospital, at a friend's house and he's stopped taking pain meds. Why? He doesn't need them.

Betmo, I have this thing where I think my own personal health issues are not important. It comes out of thinking I will live forever. Hey. I'm a Boomer. We stay forever young.

Robin Andrea, it is good news. I've been doing Jenny Craig for the weight - started one month ago, and I'm already down a full size. I walk a lot - which I love - and I think I might live forever.

SB - we've been getting morning fog and then afternoons are flat out gorgeous. Yesterday, as I wrote that, it was one of the prettiest spring days I've seen in Los Angeles. Today, not so much.

Anne said...

glad you got news about your health you can manage comfortably. i know what you mean, about thinking we will live forever. it's a bitter pill(pun intended), realizing that is not the case.

Agi said...

Need exercise? Get yourself a boxer (like mine) and you'll be walking at least two hours per day :)

Glad to hear you got some good results! Good luck on the new program!

Anonymous said...

Hey...when it comes to something as important at the liver, good news, even mixed but not dire, news is welcome.

Thorne said...

Diva, Diva, Diva...
Aside from the basic truth that you are part of the greater whole of life, you must needs remember that you are also important to us. Every bit of you that you share with us, allows us to better connect with the personal context from which your views, feelings, ideas, and commentary arise.
I have been awaiting your biopsy results with caring, although I don't remember (CRS) knowing that you too, suffer from FMS. I am glad to hear that you are being proactive and positive. Keep being you!!! (And please keep sharing you with us!)