Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Peace through Tourism



The International Institute for Peace Through Tourism is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering and facilitating tourism initiatives which contribute to international understanding and cooperation, an improved quality of environment, the preservation of heritage, and through these initiatives, helping to bring about a peaceful and sustainable world.

It is based on a vision of the world's largest industry, travel and tourism - becoming the world's first global peace industry; and the belief that every traveler is potentially an "Ambassador for Peace."

A primary goal of IIPT is to mobilize the travel and tourism industry as a leading force for poverty reduction.

I became a travel agent in 1991. I believe strongly that travel is the first step in creating peace because it can open your heart. IIPT is the strongest organization out there to train the travel industry and the traveler on taking action to create peace. What shocks me on a daily basis is how thoughtless (without thought) so many people in my industry actually are. I believe I have an obligation to gently guide my clients to travel with a gentle heart and open eyes.

This is IIPT's Credo for the Peaceful Traveler:

Grateful for the opportunity to travel and experience the world and because peace begins with the individual, I affirm my personal responsibility and commitment to:

Journey with an open mind and gentle heart

Accept with grace and gratitude the diversity I encounter

Revere and protect the natural environment which sustains all life

Appreciate all cultures I discover

Respect and thank my hosts for their welcome

Offer my hand in friendship to everyone I meet

Support travel services that share these views and act upon them and,

By my spirit, words and actions, encourage others to travel the world in peace



cross posted at The Fat Lady Sings and The Katrinacrat

9 comments:

robin andrea said...

Travel can open one's eyes and heart to our common humanity. I like the promotion of peace through journeys.

Peacechick Mary said...

A very noble cause. Do you think some people sign up for this especially because they want peace to be in every aspect of their lives? I hope so.

Cheney08 said...

Does the Iraq trip count?

Pursey Tuttweiler said...

I was going to say something, but Cheney 08 caused me to forget. Welcome home Jood.
Peace

Frederick said...

Speaking of...have you noticed how many horror movies there have been lately involving tourists?

DivaJood said...

Robin Andrea, plus, it's fun and there's great food.

Peacechick, yes, I do think so. There are some very interesting travelers out there.

Dick, no, Iraq does not count. Neither do your hunting trips.

Pursey, he about put me off my lunch.

Frederick, actually, no. But I recently experienced the horror of flying in economy...

Coffee Messiah said...

Being a baby of a now retired UAL employee, I learned early about travel. Luckily, have seen and accepted through my own eyes that if I travel, I will not go, to that, that reminds me of home, hence, why bother to travel at all.

We used to have a friend who was an agent but in the late 80s she started having trouble, what with airlines selling their own tickets online, etc.

We may, if we get some extra cash together, have to contact you about a trip out of the country somewhere.

You sound like someone we could trust for good advice! ; )

and welcome back too....

Traveling Man said...

I would add one thing: learn at least a few phrases in the native language, (if it isn't English. Even then...)

This small courtesy can open doors that remain closed to those who do not.

Just my two cents.

Traveling Man

DivaJood said...

Coffee Messiah, oh, you must have used a lot of "buddy passes" - yep - it's tough to be a travel agent in today's climate; please do contact me for travel out of the country.

Traveling Man, I agree - it's such an important courtesy to try to speak local language. We are not the center of the universe.