Saturday, August 23, 2008

Vice Presidential Candidates

I met Joe Biden in 1974 when I was on campaign staff for Congressman Abner J. Mikva. Biden was a Freshman Senator, and in Des Plaines to help campaign for my candidate. He came into our office for a function, a small motivational thing and told one of the funniest, self-effacing stories - this was back in the days before airport security, when a person could get a plane held - he told us he had been running late, needed to get the plane - his staff called ahead to hold the flight for the Senator. When he got to the gate, the flight attendent looked at him and said "Senator, don't try that again until you're an adult." Biden was so young at the time. Now, at 65, perhaps he carries some of the gravitas that people think Obama lacks.

On to more serious matters. I had a text message from Nunly yesterday - the family arrived safely, her sister-in-law was still alert but in terrible pain. Keep Nunly in your thoughts, it's a tough time.

9 comments:

Fran said...

I dunno Jood~ Biden seems like a lackluster choice to me. His bid for presidency flatlined, and he's been a part of the spineless network.

Maybe he will pick his Grandma from Hawaii instead???

Randal Graves said...

I like that Biden swears.

Raven said...

I've always liked Joe Biden. He was one of the few people in the debates who added some meat and content to the discourse. I am and was a Kucinich fan. I think Biden is a good choice to run with Obama, though. I like the airport story.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on M.E.'s sister in law!

Fingers crossed that Biden will be our next V.P. (barring you and M.E., of course)

Dianne said...

I like the airport story.

I'm disappointed in Biden as VP, I wanted someone who was less a part of the Washington machine but I'm going to trust Obama.

I do hope Biden doesn't have any major mouth farts!

Fran said...

I think Biden is the wise choice from the perspective of fighting the inexperience issues that many cite.

None of the names were thrilling to me and I disliked some more than others. I am fine with this choice given what was on the table.

Unknown said...

I like Biden as well but because of what he said about education during the primary campaign.

But I am bothered by how big the VP candidate has become. Cheeney is a scary president to follow.

Tom Harper said...

I think Biden was an excellent choice. When the swiftboating continues, Obama can stick to the high road (he doesn't seem capable of anything else) and Biden can do the buttkicking.

Being Catholic and from a working class family should help Biden-Obama. I read somewhere that Biden still takes the train regularly between Washington DC and his home in Delaware. Compare that to McCain's umpteen houses that he can't even keep track of.

Missy said...

Geez, inexperience shouldn't even be an issue. Bush's cabinet all had lots of experience and look where that got us.

My prayers are with ME.