Friday, May 12, 2006

Beautiful paintings

I have no idea what she's saying as I don't speak or read French well enough; but I do know what these paintings Échange transatlantique II are saying. The bottom one in particular shows an exquisite use of light.

The top painting, Mont Vesuve vu de Torre dell'Annunziata près de Naples, has an almost Japanese feel to it. There's a softness to the image (at least as displayed by my computer) that probably indicates very thin use of of paint -- I don't see any evidence of scumbling, but I could be wrong. It's oil on paper, probably thin washes. It's gorgeous.

The middle painting, Schroon Mountain, Adirondacks, is by Thomas Cole and it has a boldness to it that makes my heart sing. He's painted this with authority, it's a wonderful image.

But the bottom one, Le temps est à l'orage, lac Memphrémagog, just makes me gasp in awe. Just an incredible use of light.

Years ago I was at The Vermont Studio Center, on a month long fellowship. I was the lone figure/portrait painter among landscape artists. One day toward the end of the month, a couple of them dragged me out to do some Pleine Air painting. My god, it's hard work -- so many choices! SO many choices. Clearly the above artists knew how to make those choices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome to come by anytime, and when you do, look for text typed in blue. That's where you will find the english translation of most of what is on the blog. Unfurtunately, I don't always have time to do a fully bilingual post. So, sometimes, when I figure that it speaks for itself, sort of speak, I skip either the French or the English version. As for the 'Friday cat blogging', I feel I can skip both. LOL

DivaJood said...

I do stop by your blog, Suzanne -- and I like the bi-lingual approach. But these paintings do speak for themselves, so I put the link in.

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

It's really nice of you to have put that link. Really, thank you. It's such an incredible adventure, this blogging business, so, to have new/different readers drop by, your readers, is really neat. Thanks again. :-)

Alicia Morgan said...

I love them - they have a very Maxfield Parrish feel to them, for me.