Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Gap In The Space Between Life And Art



Robert Rauschenberg, a true 20th Century Master, died Monday May 12 at 82 years of age. The critic Robert Hughes once said that Rauschenberg "showed America that all of life could be open to art." Still, people fail to look, fail to see.

Rauschenberg used to say that he worked in the gap between life and art. I can say without question that his works fill that gap. There was a joy in his work, a playful seriousness that never failed to amaze me. Rest in peace, Mr. Rauschenberg.

9 comments:

anita said...

wow. i was unaware of that. i have always loved his work. rest in peace, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, wasn't a huge Rauschenberg fan. But nonetheless it's still sad to see another death in a great generation of artists.

DivaJood said...

Anita, he had a flair. And he really did believe that everything was worthy of being a subject for art. Sort of opened up the world.

Kvatch, it was really always hit-or-miss with Rauschenberg. But I liked his "muscle." He was fearless. But sometimes his taste was questionable.

robin andrea said...

Many years ago when I was living in Boulder, Co I had a friend who was an eccentric older woman who had once been a bouncer at Max's Kansas City. She was quite the character. For some reason she wanted me and my then husband to hang her original Rauschenberg at our house. I have no idea why (although at the time there was probably some rationale). That was my one and only experience with Rauschenberg. I hadn't thought of that in years until I heard of his passing.

enigma4ever said...

I loved his art....wonderful...he was so non traditional....darn....

Utah Savage said...

Sad to hear it. I too loved his work.

DivaJood said...

E4E, yep. He was unique.

Utah, he had power.

Liquid said...

This is my first visit here.
I am finding your blog delightful.
I found you over at Utah Savage.

I'll be back.
Soon and often.

Have a super day!

DivaJood said...

Hi Liquid. Welcome. Thank you for the kind words.