Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dr. Von Monkerstein has tagged me

Yes, it's true. Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein has tagged me for this new meme started up by Jewish Princess, Katie Schwartz. I realize I'm a Diva, and older than Katie, so techinically I outrank her but it is such a good idea, I bow to her wisdom and wit. The meme asks a bunch of questions of Obama supporters, and so (please forgive me) Monkey see, Diva do.

1) What is your name (nickname, whatever you're comfortable sharing), your age (range), gender, occupation, income bracket (range), how you identify (gay/straight/whatever)? Married/Single/Divorced? Kids (how many)?

Real Name: Judith
Nickname: Diva Jood
I am 59, Halloween is my birthday, yikes. Female. Travel Counselor. Income is now up for grabs as I am independent. Cash flow is tight at the moment. I am straight. Divorced. Two kids, both grown and gone, one adorable 3 year old granddaughter.

2) What are the most important issues to you in this presidential election and why?

My issues are Universal Health Care for all citizens, the Environment, and an end to the war for Oil in Iraq.

As an older Boomer, and now self-employed, I am well aware of how Health Coverage bleeds us. The numbers of uninsured Americans, or underinsured Americans, staggers the imagination, and there is no reason for it. Universal Health Care works well in Europe, in Canada, throughout the world - the only thing standing in the way of it in America is Corporate Greed.

And we must now do everything we can to protect the Environment. Again, through greed, we have pillaged the land - over built, destroying natural and needed wetlands; dumped so much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere that we've increased global temperatures at a disasterous rate. If we don't act now to reverse this, we will not have a planet to live on. And I can't afford to relocate to Mars.

And what can pay for this? The TRILLIONS of dollars wasted in a needless, irresponsible and illegal war in Iraq, that's what. End the war now, and spend this money at home.

3) Why do you think voters should vote for Obama/Biden, what differentiates this ticket from McCain/Palin?
Roe v. Wade; The Supreme Court; The Environment; Protecting ANWR vs. drilling for oil; Health Care.

4) If McCain/Palin wins this election, where do you see our country going in the next four years?
If McCain/Palin do win, I see this as a giant step backward for the nation. Domestic surveillence will increase; more bank failures; increase deregulation of various industries in the name of Corporate Greed; more airline failures; escalating costs for health care; more home foreclosures; higher prices at the pump; an end to Civil Liberties; end of Separation of Church and State; more fear, more isolation from the world at large.

5) Economically, where do you think this country is today and how do you think Obama/Biden can make a positive impact?
We are in a Recession. With all the deregulation of industry, we are on the edge of a Depression, and economic collapse. Obama's plan would be to increase taxes for the wealthiest 2%, so that they finally will pay their share. He will end Bush's tax cuts. He will encourage companies to go "green" with tax incentives; he will tax companies that outsource. I would hope that he create a service unit similar to FDR's New Deal, to create jobs at home.

6) In the past 8-years, how do you think this country has changed under the Bush regime? Have you been affected by these changes? If so, in what ways?
Loss of international respect; we are less safe as Americans because of his reckless policies and illegal, pre-emptive war.
Loss of civil liberties and increase in domestic spying.
We've become financially strapped as a nation, with home foreclosures at alarming rates; six major financial institutions collapsing; major airlines going out of business. And yes, I've been affected by all of it. I am earning less now than I was before; travel in general is down because people are afraid to go anywhere. I have had horrific health care costs. I have had to deplete my savings. Nothing good has come out of the Bush regime.

7) I have read that Palin is considered the new voice of feminism, which is offensive in my opinion. Of equal concern are her views on abortion and the removal of books from libraries. I'd like to know what you think about all of that and how you feel about McCain choosing Palin as a running mate. And what kind of message you think that sends to women?

When Sarah Palin was Mayor of Wasilla, she made sure that victims of rape had to pay for their own forensic rape kits. And while Ms. Palin supports contraception, she is a member of a "pro-woman" but anti-abortion group called "Feminists For Life". Quoting Cecile Richards:
“Senator McCain's choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as a running mate makes clear that John McCain is completely out of touch on the issues that matter to American women. The last thing women need is a president — and vice president — who are prepared to turn back the clock on women's rights and repeal the protections of Roe v. Wade.
Ms. Palin's claim to Foreign Policy Experience is that she can SEE Russia on a clear day, from Wasilla. The ONLY thing she and Hillary Clinton have in common is a vagina. Sarah Palin is an insult to all of us.

So. Now I have to ask others to respond.

1. Despite her attempt to not blog about politics, I must as FranIAm to participate in this meme.

2. Dianne rarely blogs politically, so I would love her take.

3. Maria*Maria because, well, Maria Knows.

4. Border Explorer.

26 comments:

Dianne said...

I WILL definitely do this one Jood!! I just need to finish my story for Jeff B's writing challenge, tomorrow is the deadline.

I love that you were born on Halloween!! It's a cool day full of good witches.

I'm an independant business too. I pay $800 a month for health insurance that questions or denies everything my doctor asks for. As of Nov 1 I may well be uninsured as they have asked for a huge increase since I'm "not a legitimate business".

Oh crap - I should save this for my own post lol

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Great responses. Thanks for doing this.

Randal Graves said...

re: #4, but just think how exciting the times would be, the mostest funnest ever!

I'm so glad you didn't tag me with this, it might be one giant swearfest, and if I end up getting hit, I'll just refer everyone to your answers. Except for #1 as I'm not a Jewish chick.

thailandchani said...

Like, like, like your answers! Right on! (From another older boomer, btw)



~*

DivaJood said...

Dianne, I'm glad - I liked doing this one, it made me focus. And today, I am going to the Obama Office in Culver City to phone bank for a few hours.

Dr. Monkey, thank you for asking me. Katie's questions were wonderful, and it was an honor to participate.

Randal, I wanted to ask you, but thought you would quit as my Campaign Manager, so rather than listen to your head explode, I simply tripled your salary.

Thailandchani, thank you - we boomers have to stick together, right?

Frederick said...

Hello. Popped back in for a bit.

MRMacrum said...

So I take it Senator McCain should not expect you to pull that lever in his direction come November. I wish you had not beat around the bush so much. Tell us how you really feel, Please stop glossing it over.

Me, well I am voting for Obama because he has big ears. Some of us need solid reasons to vote the way we do. From your post I can tell some of us don't. ;)

Fran said...

Brava- great answers DivaJood!

Katie had selected me as one of her originals so I am working on getting that done, so I will do it for her and link to you too!

Dean Wormer said...

That last question seems a little "push polly" for me.

Unknown said...

Hey Diva, great minds think alike! Come see mine! I tagged Alicia, Tina & Christopher.

I'm not surprised our answers (like Monkey's) are very similar.

Good job!

Mariamariacuchita said...

Thank you, dear Diva, for nominating me. I was totally slammed at work today, but will try to address these grave concerns tomorrow.

I really do not understand the total self-absorption of managers who think I should be fully present and available all day when blogging is so much more satisfying.

However, in this economy, who knows when another job will pop up where I can work from home 3 days a week?

DivaJood said...

Hi Fred! I haven't been by your place in forever, I'm a bad Diva.

Mrmacrum, you made me laugh and spit tea on my computer. :P Of course, your reason for voting for Obama is a good one. It means in a big wind, he could do his own flying.

FranIAm, of course Katie would have selected you! Duh. Listen, I am a natural blonde.

Dean Wormer, I thought you were off on vacation or something.

Helen, good choices! I will come by later to see your answers.

MariaMaria, I work from home now every day. Haven't been paid yet, but I'm working!

Katie Schwartz said...

ha, monkey see, diva do. fab.

Your response to #4 gave me the chills, everything you wrote is eerily true.

Excellent points about loss of international respect, we have none, it's gone.

The impact of the Bush regime has radically impacted your life professionally and personally and that is heart wrenching. I'm so happy you addressed it.

Love what you said about the sole commonality between Hill and Palin-- a vagina. As if that's enough to garner our votes.

Brilliant! Linking to it and awwwwl

susan said...

Great answers, divajood. I'm an even older boomer (first wave) who has very similar concerns. I have to get authorizations for surgeries and then I get to bill the damn things. Everybody with insurance in this country has managed care but most don't know.

Fran said...

Oh Diva ~ You have the gift. I'll add my opinion-- if we are sending folks to Mars, lets makes it the Bush admin. They are out of this world anyway, may as well make it official.

Katie Schwartz said...

DivaJood, you're amazing, my dear. I posted about your wonderful post.

http://katieschwartz.blogspot.com/2008/09/poliqs-of-great-importance-from-5-great.html

Robert Rouse said...

Hey Jood! Don't make it bad. Wait, that's not what i was going to say. Just dropping by to wish you a happy Constitution Day!

DivaJood said...

Katie, your questions were incredible. I was so honored that Monkey tagged me - because it got me out of the whining about Palin and into action. And after working at an Obama office yesterday, I am fired up! And thanks for the linky-love.

Susan, I think we boomers are absolutely going to decide this election.

Fran, I'm not sure we should colonize Mars. Or the Moon. We've fucked up one planet, isn't that enough?

Robert, now that is taking The Long And Winding Road to honor the Constitution...

Dean Wormer said...

jood-

Not on vacation but my stupid job keeps getting in the way of blogging fun. :(

Robert Rouse said...

I assumed I could get some "HELP". I mean "I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE PARTY", but "IF I NEEDED SOMEONE" I knew we could "COME TOGETHER" and celebrate this day and not "LET IT BE". Let me know if you want to continue this line of commentary and "I WILL".

DivaJood said...

Dean, don't you hate when work gets in the way of blogging?

Robert, I surrender. Really. SAY THE WORD and I'll give up.

Robert Rouse said...

Are you saying DON'T BOTHER ME?

Fran said...

Hey Jood~ I have a quick & easy answer to #4

4) If McCain/Palin wins this election, where do you see our country going in the next four years?

Answer: Hell in a handbasket

MRMacrum said...

fran - I think we should amend the Hell in a handbasket. That seems what we have been in for the last 7 years. Maybe "Hell in an Oil Barrel" would be more accurate.

DivaJood said...

Robert, "I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER" than to have a throwdown with you over The Beatles.

Fran, groan....

Mrmacrum, exactly. Hell in an oil barrel describes it well.

Joe said...

I wish I'd read this earlier! What an excellent post. I'm glad you emphasized health care, and I'm really glad you mentioned Palin's actions re: rape kits. As someone who has had the unfortunate job of working with rape victims, the idea of adding that indignity to the trauma a sexual assault victim has suffered indicates a total lack of human empathy in Palin.