Monday, September 01, 2008

Sarah Palin's Foreign Policy Expertise?


Michael Barone, of US News claims that Sarah Palin does have Foreign Policy Experience. He says
Foreign policy experience? Well, Alaska is the only state with a border with Russia. And it is the only state with territory, in the Aleutian Islands, occupied by the enemy in World War II.
Hmmm. Living NEAR Russia, it seems, provides one with foreign policy cred. I seem to recall - I even looked at a map and Alaska doesn't actually share a border with Russia - the Bering Sea is between them. Alaska DOES share a border with Canada, though. Perhaps that means Ms. Palin is fluent in French?

Of course, Cindy McCain thinks that proximity to Russia is enough to qualify Ms. Palin's experience.



Of course, there is precedent for this sort of reasoning. During the 2000 campaign, George W. Bush would occasionally claim to have foreign policy experience, by virtue of the fact that his adopted-home state of Texas bordered Mexico. If this is the basis of Foreign Policy experience, then the Shit-From-Shinola Party ticket rocks the house.

I grew up in Chicago, which has the highest Polish population outside of Warsaw. Chicago also has Italians, Irish, and Jews, so I can handle the Eastern Bloc, the Middle East, great food (Italians, c'mon) and whatever it is the Irish are known for. Really, vote Jood/Nunly and we'll turn this government around completely.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that's goooood. I grew up in the chicago area too (and am half-Polish) which means you should really really appoint me to your supreme court, if for no other reason than my obvious foreign policy experience.

Nice catch... too funny!

Billie Greenwood said...

//Shit-From-Shinola Party ticket rocks the house//
Oh, you know it, Sista!

Randal Graves said...

Whatever it is the Irish are known for? Well there's Swift and Yeats and tunes and okjimm's favorite beverage. Why do you hate leprechauns? And since I'm a good chuck Scotch, you're now and expert on kilts and haggis.

Unknown said...

My other half is Irish! I have to admit, it's my favorite side. No insult to the Poles.

Anonymous said...

I'll take Cuba since I'm in the Southeastern United States. Shall we close down Guantanamo?

DivaJood said...

Well, I'm Jewish from Russia and Poland, so I've got tons of ferrin policy 'sperience.

Helen, welcome to the Court of the Supremes.

Randal, I don't hate the Irish, in fact I dated one for years. But I'm just not sure what they do exactly other than wax poetic and invent beer. And I LOVE a man in kilts.

Border, we do, we do.

DCup, yes, close down Gitmo. Oh, better idea: let's hire a good architect and convert it into affordable housing.

Travelingman Rick said...

Thanks for the blogroll add...love the blog. You will see more of me and yes by all means close gitmo...

Mariamariacuchita said...

Close gitmo and tear down the border wall.

I knew that Mexico didn't like the wall despite the fact that I only live 200 miles from the border, not because of it. Lame intelligence begets erroneous conclusions.

Mary Ellen said...

If we win this, Jood it will be ravioli in every pot....and pot in every ravioli! Whoo hoo! Diva/Nunly, that's the ticket!

Life As I Know It Now said...

you already have my vote ;)

DivaJood said...

travelingman, thanks! Yes, close Gitmo.

MariaMaria, is it low information voters, or low information administrations? I forget.

Mary Ellen, what scares me is that we could probably be good at it.

Lib, thank you. What if we win?

Blueberry said...

Ms. Palin-by-Comparison probably knows as much about Russia as she does about the United States. ;-)

DivaJood said...

Blueberry, which is to say "Huh, absolutely NUTHIN".

D.K. Raed said...

The part of Russia that is near (not bordering) Alaska is the uninhabited tundra of Siberia. Not exactly interfaceable material to practice Palin's proximity foreign policy on.

Diva, my hub is also Russian-Polish Jew! Minskya-Pinkskya father, Ukraini mother. Me being mostly Scots-Irish, David Duchovny could be our luv chile. Which all goes to show I know shit from shinola, as well as haggis from hamas.

Fran said...

Cindy Lou can kiss my Blarney Stone.
The Irish are known for
• bullshitting
• drinking
• wonderful brogue accents
• jigs
• Sheep & Wool
• Waterford Crystal
• Guinness beer from Dublin

dk- you crack me up with your "I know shit from shinola, as well as haggis from hamas." remark.

Seeing Cindy Lou & Laura together yesterday at the podium of the empty convention hall was a total crack up.
My son & I just about fell off our chairs laughing as our jaws gaped open.

According to Cindy Lou, being a republican & being an American are two totally dfferent things. She nailed it!
This woman is brilliant.


Cindy Lou announces "We are going to take off our Republican hats, and put on our American Hats, regarding hurricane Gustov".

DivaJood said...

DK, Siberia is not without population. I am certain that a few Bears live there. Oh, wait. Bears don't participate in elections. Funny about your hubby - maybe we're related. We should play Jewish Geography.

DivaJood said...

Fran, it is so good to know that the Irish are good for so many things. I happen to like Irish Men in general - (yes, Alan Rickman is of Irish/Welsh heritage). They have the gift of gab.