Monday, October 16, 2006

The highest form of flattery



Hats off to Frederick at MCCS1977 for the following, stolen verbatim:

There was a fever over the land. A fever of disgrace, of indignity, of hunger. We had a democracy, yes, but it was torn by elements within. Above all, there was fear. Fear of today, fear of tomorrow, fear of our neighbors, and fear of ourselves. Only when you understand that - can you understand what Hitler meant to us. Because he said to us: 'Lift your heads! Be proud to be German! There are devils among us. Communists, Liberals, Jews, Gypsies! Once these devils will be destroyed, your misery will be destroyed.' It was the old, old story of the sacrifical lamb. What about those of us who knew better? We who knew the words were lies and worse than lies? Why did we sit silent? Why did we take part? Because we loved our country! What difference does it make if a few political extremists lose their rights? What difference does it make if a few racial minorities lose their rights? It is only a passing phase. It is only a stage we are going through. It will be discarded sooner or later.

11 comments:

Frederick said...

...and I am.

=)

pissed off patricia said...

This election next month will tell the story. If I could trust the voting machines, I would feel much better.

DivaJood said...

Fred, the more people who see this, the better.

POP, I know how you feel. I have to vote absentee, because I will be out of the country on election day. I am fearful that my vote won't be counted.

Anonymous said...

PoP and Diva,
I will be out of the country on election day and I am terrified my absentee vote will be shredded.

Diva, your story is chilling.

Tina said...

The Ernst Janning quote from Judgment at Nuremberg is blood chilling. When will America have her awakening? When will we realize that this bloodlust will only lead to our own detriment? All we would have to do is take the time to look at history for God's sake... but who the hell does that? Most people say: Read? Learn? Who me? I relish being a know-nothing moron. It is just much easier. And if saying that makes me an elitist liberal snob than so be it. You can't change the world by voting for American Idol dumbasses. You can change the world by taking the time to know the issues ON YOUR OWN-- not spoonfed from a church or a radio talk show host-- and vote for a politician who will have a profound effect on your life and our children's lives.

robin andrea said...

Has there ever been a time when our democracy has come under such an attack? It is hard to know what to do. I think the internet keeps us well-informed, but it also keeps us in our houses, and off the streets. We need to be in the streets. This administration is shredding our Constitution and there really hasn't been a rally big enough to shake Wour country out of its lethargy. I don't know what to think about November 7th. Part of me believes the republicans will try to steal it, part of me thinks that it's just too big to steal that many districts, and with so many people watching. I don't know.

sumo said...

We'll all have to wait for November 7th to see what we feel about what happens.

Yoga Korunta said...

George is a Nazi!

DivaJood said...

Karena, I know how you feel. I'm doing the vote in person thing, on 10/25, and I fear it will just be deleted. I'll be out of the country too.

Tina, I grew up in a culture that values education. It baffles my mind that people are so "dumbed down." I don't get it either.

Robin Andrea, I think you're right. The internet keeps us informed, but it also keeps us in our homes. November 7 is crucial.

Sumo, Nov. 7 means this: if we take back the House and Senate, we will have a Democracy which continues to limp along. If we lose, we will not have elections in 2008.

Yoga, that's right.

Anonymous said...

Diva,
I had my dates wrong and I will be here on election day!!! I am going to take the whole day off, maybe two whole days.

Unknown said...

I'm TERRIFIED the elections will be fixed. However, I have read that they can only be stolen if they are close. If the dems win by a landslide, there's nothing the Gross Old Perverts can do.

Of course, you have to wonder how many lawsuits will be filed for recounts if the Dems win. The GOP isn't going to just lie down and take take it. That's for sure.