Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mid-Terms are two weeks away





Do you know how (or if) your vote will be tallied? A big hat tip to Tina for alerting us to this tidbit: Illinois Ballot Integrity Project hacks into Chicago voter database.

The IBIP is a not-for-profit, non-partisan civic organization dedicated to the correction of election system deficiencies and to ensuring fair, accurate, and completely transparent elections.

The Diebold machines operate on proprietary software which is easily hacked. In a paper last month, "Security Analysis of the Diebold AccuVote-TS Voting Machine," (available here) Princeton computer professor Edward W. Felten and two graduate students Ariel J. Feldman and J. Alex Halderman discussed a common Diebold machine. They showed that anyone who gets access to the machine and its memory card for literally a minute or two could easily install the group's invisible vote-stealing software on the machine. (Poll workers and others have unsupervised access for much longer periods.) Changing all logs, counters, and associated records to reflect the bogus vote count that it generates, the software installed by the infected memory card (similar to a floppy disk) would be undetectable. In fact, the software would delete itself at the end of Election Day.

Do NOT LET THIS STOP YOU FROM VOTING. Vote, and tell people how you vote.

6 comments:

robin andrea said...

We vote by mail on paper ballots in Washington. I heard or read somewhere yesterday that election integrity is the new civil rights issue of our day. A paper ballot is the only way to go.

Frederick said...

I'm thankful, even if it's only for one more year, that New York (where hopefully many Republicans will be kicked out of the House)we still have the old lever pull machines...

billie said...

fred- me too!

Tina said...

Hubby and I received our absentee ballots today in the mail. We will be voting tonight, making a copy of our ballots on our copier/fax, and mailing them in tomorrow. Since Ohio seems to be leading the pack in clusterfuck voting, we hope that keeping a copy for ourselves helps out... but ... when J is for Judas Kenneth Blackwell is our Secretary of State, hope is about all we got at this point...sigh...

Kim Tyler said...

I'm happy to have already mailed in my absentee ballot, and have selected the little box that signs me up to do that from now on. I don't trust those voting machines - everything coming out in the press lately confirms that they are pure junk and not reliable except to screw up. The situation in Ohio makes me want to throw up, Tina, with Mr. Blackwell in charge of tallying it all up again.

DivaJood said...

Robin, I am going today to vote and it will either be inka vote (which I prefer) or touch-screen (which I don't trust at all.)

Fred, I remember those lever pull machines! In Chicago, where I used to live, we used to tell people to pull a straight Democratic ticket, and somehow they did away with that.

Betmo, what I said to Fred!

Tina, that's a good idea - make a copy of your ballots, but I heard a rumor that Blackwell can't read.

Sigrid, Ohio is worse than nauseating. Blackwell should be imprisoned.